Your New Lawn & the Process Involved
If you’re considering an artificial lawn we thought it might be helpful for you to understand the process involved.
Here we explain how your garden will be affected, how long it may take and the skill and knowledge required to do your garden proud!
The process starts with the initial quotation. Any company which specialises in artificial lawns should provide a free, no obligation quotation. This entails an expert conducting a one-to-one survey – visiting your home, listening and discussing your personal requirements. They should next assess your needs on their individual merits and find the artificial grass solution perfect for you.
Once you have received their quotation and are completely happy to proceed, these should be the steps for installing your new artificial grass lawn:
- The area to be transformed will be clearly marked out.
- A team will dig down into your soil by a minimum of 75 mm creating a clean, flat area.
- A Geotex membrane is laid down onto your newly dug area. This is a permeable material and allows the ground to easily drain rainwater, protect your artificial grass and prevent weeds from growing.
- The area will then be fine scalped – this is where a compacted base is created from added crushed granite. This allows for a solid foundation, but also aids drainage.
- The team should then hand screed sharp sand or granite dust depending on your requirements to a maximum depth of 10 mm as too much sand compromises the quality of the base and causes settlement issues.
- A second Geotex membrane will then be laid.
- The area will now be ready for your grass to be carefully cut in and laid, exactly to your requirements.
- If you have more than one piece of grass to be fitted these will be seamed together and glued on a full bed of 2 part adhesive, creating a strong join which will stand the test of time.
- The final process – sit back and enjoy your new garden or dream space for many, maintenance-free years!
Obviously, the time it takes to transform your garden into your dream space will depend upon a variety of variables i.e. size of area and how much clearing and levelling is required. But for many of the lawns we install, the whole process can often be done in a day, and in some cases, just a morning! It really is quick and hassle free to change a miserable plot of land into a great, welcoming space to relax in!
We would highly recommend hiring a respectable company which specialises in artificial grass installations. It will take them a lot less time than a gardener and you will receive a far greater understanding of what to expect. You will also benefit from professional advice in terms of the type of grass needed to suit your exact needs. The overall finish will be of a much higher quality and will ultimately cost you less in terms of time and money.
Do you have a lawn or garden related project you'd like to discuss?
Get in touch by calling us on 01728 452757 or complete the “request a call back” form below and we’ll be in touch!